Wednesday, January 30, 2008

what now?

So I'm officially past 28 weeks. I'm almost 29 in fact (you know, by my own Kim math). So I've been getting around more, I'm picking my daughter up from preschool in the afternoons even. It feels a bit like a no-man's land though, between the real anxiety-inducing time and the time when everything is pronounced just fine. I do feel a sense of relief of course, but experience has taught me that each sense of relief is soon followed by some new challenge (that's a euphemism for "some new shitty thing").

Well, I reached 28 weeks and it turns out I don't have gestational diabetes, so I have to admit that the natural pessimist in me is waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Anyway, I haven't blogged in a while. My daughter got sick which really stretched our already meager resources. Luckily I'm allowed to get up much more often now that I'm past 28 weeks, so I could help a little. I think watching sick kids is a good argument for psychosomaticism. She had a relatively high fever (101.5 to 102) but otherwise felt fine. Since she felt fine she had no idea why I was suddenly forcing her to sit on the couch all day. She was literally begging to go do something fun and active and get away from the couch and tv. I ended up desperately pushing Pixar like a meth dealer "Oh, come on, you love Nemo, just one more movie...". I pride myself on my consistency as a parent.

I think in an adult, the mere knowledge that one had the flu would lead one to find all sorts of "symptoms" that are really everyday discomforts. If only we didn't know we are supposed to be so miserable, maybe we'd be free to be happy more often.

addendum:
I have to add an exciting piece of data I came across -

days until I'm full term (including today): 59
day's I've already been on bedrest: 70

1 comment:

Katarina Jelly Beana said...

Oh Good!!

I was going to email you to check on you this morning.

Glad your little girl is better and that you are at 29!! weeks and no GD...Victories abound!

I've wondered that too...If I didn't know I was supposed to be sick, would I be?