Last night my Braxton Hicks gave me a fright. They came every hour for 5 hours starting at 3AM. Finally around 7 my husband called the perinatologist and we had an appointment at 8 with a new doctor who I'll call Dr. Blahblahblah. Or Dr. B for short. I love my two other drs at this practice and they work together a lot - after meeting Dr. B I expect to see the practice split at some point.
First off, we didn't think I was in labor and weren't freaking out, but at 27 weeks you get checked just in case because on the off chance it is real pre-term labor it's better to get the steriod injections earlier than later.
Well, Dr. Blahblahblah earned his name by first asking for my shortened cervix history (which is conveniently located in the files which are brought up on the computer right there in the exam room), then interrupted me about 10 words into the history and went on to tell me all the things I already knew and insinuate that my other doctors were getting me all "freaked out." He's wrong, they gave us all the info and we made our decisions based on their well-explained and well-founded reasoning and advice.
And he said we were right to come in. So, which is it? Are we responding correctly, or are we all freaked out?
Another gem - I disclosed that I had just finished a course of monistat, for a yeast infection caused by my antibiotic suppression therapy for recurrent UTIs. He said "Is it uncomfortable?" No. It's the kind of yeast infection you are just dying to curl up with on a rainy day. If you consider an itching, burning crotch comfy like footie pajamas, then this is for you. Then he suggested I used the topical cream that comes with the OTC stuff. Groundbreaking. Now don't I feel like a perfect fool for using it to clean my plastic houseplants.
Then he lectured us a bit on how antibiotics work. My husband is a microbiologist. We were both so exhausted we just sat there napping with open eyes while he finished talking.
Gad. There's more but you get the idea.
I did learn that I only have a 15% chance of having gestational diabetes based on my 1 hour glucose tolerance test. So that was good news. I hear that the 3 hour test is hell - apparently the super sweet flat orange soda is even sweeter. Yick. Mr. Kim will be there with me. What a guy. If it had to be IF and a fabulous husband or fertile as a turtle (as my SIL once described herself - and how nice for her to be able to bury 50 babies on the beach and have them just show up a few months later all hatched) with some emotionally unavailable jerk, I'll take the former every time.
I get grumpy when I don't sleep - is it showing?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Sorry to hear that you too are having trouble with condescending doctors!
I know exactly what you mean about Mr Kim - if I were given the choice between Mr H and IF, or children with someone else, I'd pick Mr H any day. My best friend has two adorable children, but is married to a complete jerk - I wouldn't swap places with her for anything!
Thank you so much for all your support over the last few days - it really is much appreciated.
Post a Comment