So here in DC we're having an unseasonably warm day, the kind we used to bask in when I was a kid. Since it turns out that those bone-warming days are at the expense of melting icebergs and drowning polar bears, it's drained a bit of the revelry out of it for me.
But today - oh today - I was feeling gloomy. I've been worried about, well you know, everything, but lately Braxton Hicks contractions are my pet concerns. It's actually very hard for me to tell if it's just a full bladder or a contraction, but I'm on this med to reduce or eliminate contractions so I shouldn't be having any right? Not even one every few days. Right? Right?
Anyway, I was feeling all blue about this when I realized that it's warm outside. So I moved my inaction to the lounge chair my husband gave me this year. Oh, heaven. The dogs made it a little less relaxing, but nonetheless... it was fabulous.
I still can't completely enjoy the warm days, but since I enjoyed it a lot more than usual, I'll make sure to do a little environmental penance - be better about turning off our (compact fluorescent) lights, and so on. And hey, my carbon footprint has gone way down on the fossil fuel front since bed rest started.
So I'm basking in this warm day. In fact, I'm going back out with my new books that just arrived from Amazon. I got a gift certificate from a friend for the holiday so I could choose a few books.
You may have noticed that I am not counting down lately. Really, every day between 24 and 26 weeks is a victory, so for now I'm just getting through each day. So I'll give a list of the best gifts for a friend on bed rest inspired from things I've received from friends. No particular order. Some of these are good for those who do some rest after IVF too.
1. Amazon gift card - hey, for even just $10 the bed rester gets hours of entertainment.
2. A bed rest jar - make up a bunch of cards for your friend to open up each day. Each one has an idea for an activity. I've gotten a few fun websites and other ideas (all of which I can do from the couch or bed)
3. Care packages - filled with magazines, activity books, even comfy socks! You know, going through the box is entertainment in itself.
4. A phone call - out of the blue, when you know she'll be home alone.
5. A visit, or a series of visits - again, timing is everything - if you can be there when a repairman is coming all the better.
6. Dinner. This one is for her caregiver too. Just bring dinner and give them a one less thing to think about. Make it, buy it, give a restaurant gift card - whatever you can do.
7. Loan your DVD/book collection.
8. Give a few months of Netflix
9. Offer to run errands (even ones you are running anyway).
If the person in question has kids:
-offer to babysit - any time is good.
-offer to drive her child to or from school or activities. You have no idea what you are providing.
- crafts that can be done on the couch or bed. My daughter and I got a book of clothespin girls we had a lot of fun with.
If the person has dogs:
-offer to take them for a walk, or even just come and throw a ball in the back yard.
-bring chew bones - the really good kind that will occupy them for a looooong time.
-come by and make up a few kongs - stuff them with kibble or treat, seal with peanut butter and freeze.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Am slightly jealous to hear that it is warm and sunny where you are. We are having one of those days where it doesn't seem to get light properly. Our cat has the right idea - she has been curled up asleep on the bed all day!
I know it is easier said that done, but do try not to worry too much about the Braxton Hicks contractions.
Thanks,
The sunlight and warm weather are helping to reduce the worrying. Looks like we can look forward to 2 more days of it.
Your cat and I have a lot in common!
Kim
Post a Comment