Saturday, January 19, 2008

Maybe it was all the sugar plums dancing in my head

I got a call from my regular ob-gyn's office yesterday. My husband had to return the call because we ran out of cell phone minutes this month - and that's how they getcha. 45 cents a minute after you run out. Highway robbery!

Anyway... he called me back saying I might have gestational diabetes and I have to go in for the 3 hour glucose tolerance test. I thought he must be joking, but then he pointed out that the punch line really doesn't deliver the laughs.

First I was stunned. Could I really have this too? No-one in my immediate family (neither of my parents nor half-siblings do) has diabetes and I don't have any of the risk factors. After asking a friend who also flunked the 1 hr test it appears that it has a very high false positive rate, so I'm hoping I pass the 3 hour and put all this ugly talk of carbohydrate restriction behind me.

Another risk factor, another thing to monitor, another challenge, the idea is really harshing my mellow.

The gift of IF though is that each time something disappointing happens I always return to being really, truly grateful for this baby regardless of the discomfort (both emotional and physical) it may be causing me and for how far she and I have gotten so far. Not to mention that I am further resolved to do whatever they tell me to do.

On the other hand - if my regular ob's office thought I was a freak before, just wait until they add this to my list of maladies. I'm surprised no-one has asked to write my case up.

Here is a new kind of list of stats:
chance of retained placenta - 2% of deliveries worldwide
chance of Ashermans's from D&C - some disagreement, some say 1%, some say as high as 40%
chance of subfertility: 10%
chance of shortened cervix: 1%
chance of gestational diabetes: 4% of all pregnant women
chance of recurrent UTIs in pregnancy: 4 to 5 %

So there you go - I'm an unusual girl.

In good news - I'm 27 weeks today! My how time hasn't flown by. When I was less than 24 weeks I dreamed of being 27 or 28 weeks. 28 is a major goal by the way, so pop the low-carb sugar-free sparkling cider in my honor next Saturday!

2 comments:

I_Sell_Books said...

Oh, I don't envy you the 3 hour test! I had mine just this Tuesday and it sucked. The funny thing is, I'm still considered borderline, but they may put me on insulin anyway.

To which I say, hmmm...

My main problem is the test itself because I think it's crap. A better way to test my blood sugar would be a couple of hours after I ate a meal, not an hour after I drank 50mg of pure sugar, something I don't do anyway.

Meh.

Kim said...

Thanks. I fully expect it to suck. That soda was so awful the first time I felt a little queasy.

I'm sure I'll post a whiny post with every detail after the test on Wednesday.

Insulin for borderline? Isn't borderline just treated with diet?