Friday, December 28, 2007

Update

I'm not sure what went wrong yesterday but today my cervix was 2.2 cm - that's longer than it's ever measured. Fetal fibronectin was negative! This has made me immeasurably calmer.

The dr I saw today I'll call Dr. Cheer because he is a a one-man cheering section. At the same time he gives me the information, but man, do I feel better and better looking leaving that office.

So afterward my ever-loving husband took me out for a Five Guys burger, a boatload of fries and I came home and passed out.

So, why the short measurement yesterday? Dr. Cheer notes that the cervix is angled, so it can sometimes appear shorter. Here are my theories:

1. The ultrasound tech I had yesterday was young and very inexperienced. So she may not have been holding the wand correctly for the right angle Dr. Cheer mentioned. She didn't have that confident air some sono techs do. Interesting side note while we are talking about the wand. She always says "sorry" when inserting it. Which makes me feel guilty somehow for hardly noticing the whole wand thing.
I guess, anyway... This brings to mind another funny sono tech comment while wielding the wand. During the pregnancy I miscarried earlier this year, I was going to another ob office and they had (I hope) a temp (I never saw her again anyway) who said, upon insertion "Is that the right hole?" I see several problems with that question right off the bat. 1. Was she too shy to look at vaginas? Because if so, this is not the right career for her. 2. If she did insert it in the wrong place, don't you think I'd say something pretty much right away? 3. I'm pretty sure hole isn't the term in Grey's Anatomy (not the show, the anatomy tome).

I felt like I'd made that sitcom massage therapist-massage parlor mistake and had wandered into entirely the wrong kind of sono suite.

But back to my cervix,

2. The baby was kicking my cervix the entire time. My husband wonders if in 15 years we'll still be talking about her self-defeating behaviors and harkening back to this as the first example. Every picture included a tiny (but freakishly strong) foot pushing down on it like a gas pedal at a drag race.

3 comments:

I_Sell_Books said...

"Is that the right hole?"

Omg yeah, that is not confidence inspiring, is it? Although, it does make me snicker.

And But back to my cervix has got to be one of the best segways ever.

Oro

Ms Heathen said...

"Is that the right hole?" has to be right at the top of the list of things I hope never to hear whilst undergoing a gynaecological examination!

Glad to hear that you're hanging on in there!

Kim said...

Yeah, it was actually part of a terrible experience with a new ob. I could go on and on...
Needless to say, I changed practices and now my experiences are blissfully uneventful.