Ok, Here are the stats so far.
- Today is Day 14 of restricted activity/bedrest.
- It is Day 4 of limited activity when I was given some relief from bedrest due to a fairly good prognosis. Can't work more than a few hours here and there, but can go out to lunch here and there and don't have to be horizontal at all times.
- Right now we are shooting for 24 weeks. That will be on Saturday Dec 29th (26 short days from now). Then we'll shoot for 28, and so on. Baby steps.
- State of my sanity: variable.
- Time: 8:31 AM. Number of times I've checked for an imaginary contraction today: 1 .
The day before Thanksgiving we went to the Dr's office for a routine anatomy ultrasound and found out that my cervix was a little short. The Drs put me on bedrest, robbing me of my plans to go out of town, and told me to come back in a week to recheck. When I got home I immediately came down with the stomach flu on top of a nasty case of bronchitis. Vomiting all night is not a great way to avoid abdominal pressure.
The next week the same Dr's office called to tell me that my urine sample from - get this - 10 days ago! was positive for a UTI, but just barely and they needed another sample. Another week later when I'd called for another reason they said "Oh, we meant to call you and tell you you have a UTI that is resistant to Macrobid and you need to take Amoxocillan." Call me high maintenance, but I'd like to know about a positive 48 hr culture within oh, 72 hours.
Add to that Dr. Blunty, who upon finding that after a week of vomiting and coughing that my cervix had gotten shorter, said she couldn't predict what would happen and that if I went into labor "the baby would die" and told me to see a perinatologist in the next week.
She did recommend a lovely perinatologist who said the coughing and vomiting was almost certainly a part of the reason for the shortening and that my outlook is good - particularly if things remain stable (no more shortening). I nearly jumped off the table to hug him. Not figuratively, but literally and in a way that would have made him take a few steps back before giving me good news in the future.
So for the first few weeks I sat around, watched movies, took a visitor and some phone calls and tried not to worry. Big mistake. Sometimes you just need to go ahead and worry so that you can come back from that place. On the worst worry day I was left alone most of the day and was positive I'd be bruised on my entire abdomen and back from checking for contractions and kidney infection.
So now I'm down to one day at a time. And I need to share this and to get it out of me. If you have stories of successful bedrest, please feel free to chime in. I love those.
More tomorrow - or possibly today, we'll see how it goes...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment