Friday, December 28, 2007

even paranoids have stalkers sometimes

It turns out my fear of the doctor's office was not misplaced. Yesterday I woke up with some spotting - very, very light - but I called the peri's office and they had me come in right away. My cervix was shorter. This time measuring between 16-18 mm. Last time (2 weeks ago) it was about 21. I'm going back in today after a day of laying completely horizontal except for potty breaks. My husband was good enough to order me the cable movie package which has already helped dull the stabs of fear.

Today I go in for another measurement and the all-important fetal fibronectin test. It's now 11:15. We leave in about 45 minutes. I've been shaking for 2 hours. If the measurement is shorter than 15mm, they will put in a cerclage. If not - well then we have to choose. Not an easy choice since for "low risk" (everything is relative) women with shortened cervices over 15 mm, there is no evidence cerclage makes any difference in outcomes. And there are some risk associated with having it placed. On the other hand - doing nothing might feel so empty. Back home to the couch to worry out another (hopefully) 4 weeks.

So I'm not sure if this afternoon or tomorrow will find me blogging obsessively or ignoring my blog so that I can focus on HBO and the mind-boggling array of other movie channel choices I now have (and bursting into uncontrollable sobs, but of course).

1 comment:

I_Sell_Books said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!