Friday, February 15, 2008

Valentines & musings on work

Well, yesterday was Valentine's Day, which is also Mr. Kim's birthday. I'm not really into the forced romanticism of the whole valentine thing, so I like that we have the birthday to celebrate instead. Mr. Kim feels fortunate that, because it's his birthday, no girlfriend has ever expected much from him in the way of romantic dinners and roses, but instead made him dinner and got him gifts. It's been a plus-plus every year except the few before he became a serial monogamist at age 18. After that point, no matter how obviously a relationship was circling the drain in January, it was important to put it on life support until just past Feb. 14th so he wouldn't be stuck alone on his birthday while everyone else celebrated their love publicly.

Although Mr. Kim burned the steaks and the asparagus (very unusual, he is a wizard with the grill ususally), the cake the Bean and I made was good (also unusual, I'm not a good baker and have been known to ruin even the simplest of mixes). And, serendipitiously we got the movie Little Manhattan in the mail from Netflix. This is, hands down, the best Valentine's movie I've ever watched. It's absolutely adorable and honest about how awkward love is no matter how old you are.

1 comment:

Ms Heathen said...

Sorry to hear about your work woes. Have you thought about retraining, or else starting up something like your food blog and seeing where it takes you?

I was all set to go to law school, but then decided at the last minute to do an MA in Art History instead. I've never regretted it, but am beginning to wonder whether I really want an academic career.

Interesting how IF leads us to question other aspects of our lives!