Monday, February 11, 2008

Joy Ride

We here at chez Kim had a good weekend.

I am going a bit stir crazy lately, honestly. Mr. Kim has been valiant and faithful in his attempts to keep my spirits up. So this weekend, to get me out of the house, we visited the newest supermarket in our neighborhood. It's shiny and new and we just had to be part of what passes for excitement around here. I generally hate big supermarkets, but I have to admit that they are getting better. I still get overstimulated by all the crazy, overdecorated labels with loud colors and the neon lighting.

Mr. Kim's big idea was to get me one of those scooters so I could tool around the market at my leisure, my big idea was to get a few things quickly and get out. Right at the front door were two scooters. Since I've been up more I've also been experiencing severe muscle pain, so after a short stroll, I was willing to agree to anything that would get me off my feet - dog sled, being dragged around on a tobaggon, whatever. So I sat down, got a brief tutorial from a friendly store employee and lurched off alternating between barreling toward people, doors, and displays and screeching to a halt. I'm not really sure this ride counted as 'rest.'

When I got stuck between the oranges and tomatoes I learned that the thing has a deafening back-up beep like an air-raid siren. So I then resolved to go only forward in order to avoid terrifying my fellow shoppers, who were afraid they were about to be impaled by a front-loader. I pulled over while Jonah got us some Starbucks and of course I ended up stuck in the tiny cafe area, trying to free myself and my scooter by executing a 100-point turn. In the end I had to be directed out by a store employee like an airplane preparing for take-off with the scooter beeping all along so no-one would miss the show. It reminded me of this.

Today is Potomac Primary day!

2 comments:

Katarina Jelly Beana said...

Now you can go to the grand canyon like those women in the Hoverround commercials!!

Ms Heathen said...

Glad to hear that you managed to get out of the house for a bit. At least you didn't manage to knock any large displays over!