Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Make Way! Make Way!

So I'm back at school now and for two days I've been waiting for it to stop. But it appears that possibly for the rest of the time I'm at work, until I go on maternity leave, every time I step into the hallway a kindergartener will shout "SHE'S GOING TO HAVE A BAAAABY!" Sort of in the manner of a queen being heralded by trumpets everywhere I go. Or like a crowd shouting warning as a delirious half-tranquilized elephant wanders into the hallway.

The elevator isn't working. Well, it's sort-of working, which may be worse. I was told I could use it so long as I took a walkie-talkie with me. I felt too lazy to go get one, so I decided to chance it. You can see where this is going. There are some things in life you chance - like driving by the closest parking spaces on a crazy mall day or trying the McDonalds latte, but semi-functional elevators probably shouldn't be chanced. The elevator went down, but the doors didn't open. So I hit the emergency button and knocked on the door. I knocked on the door. It's one of those things you do in an emergency that makes no sense. A comfort measure - something familiar. Subconscious: "Hey, sometimes when doors are closed and I knock on them, they open. Let's try that!" Conscious brain: "Why is my hand knocking on the door? This will only draw the attention of the kindergarteners and there will be more pointing and shouting." The strange thing is: the knocking worked. The door opened and I was freed and most luckily - before any kindergarteners could grab their papier mache pitchforks and torches and come after me.

No comments: