Monday, February 25, 2008

Breakfast in the car

The title of my blog is now sadly misleading. I may never have breakfast in bed again.

I started work today and it was ok. It was, as I had hoped, nice to feel the day flying by. It was not so nice to have the sub who was overlapping with me so that this week would be all about paperwork say she couldn't come in. So I ended up doing more than I'd planned but I just did what felt ok and no more.

People seemed to fall into 2 camps - those who thought I had been sitting home eating Mint Milanos and watching all the Oscar-nominated movies, and those who pictured me sitting in the center of a pile of wadded up tissues watching Jerry Springer and eating cheese doodles.

The truth was somewhere in-between. Yogurt and Law & Order. The occasional mountain of tissues, but damn it, Failure to Launch can be really moving if you're in the right mood.

This weekend I started each day with a nice decaf iced Americano and imagined starting my workdays the same way. Sadly, each day ended with my esophagus bursting into flames no Tums could extinguish. Cruel world.

So get this - not only am I back to work - I'm doing it without coffee. It's not the caffeine (I have been caffeine-free for over 5 years ever since I became the Amy Winehouse of caffeine addiction). It's the security of it - like a former smoker with a toothpick. Only better, because this looks, smells and tastes like the stuff that was a conduit for my drug of choice instead of being a piece of wood with a vague resemblence to the monkey that was recently on my back. But with my heartburn problem I too might have to resort to

2 comments:

Katarina Jelly Beana said...

Heartburn and coffee...one of the cruelest combinations in the world.

Glad today went well! It has to be fun to be back and feeling like a member of society again.

Lollipop Goldstein said...

So sad, so sad, a world without coffee.

Thank you for answering the question on my blog!