Friday, May 23, 2008

spring cleaning

The D&C is done. I'm doing ok, but feeling a bit exhausted and sore. Here's how the day went.

First we took the Bug to her 2 month check-up where the doctor noted that she has already achieved most of her 3 and 4 month milestones. Because she's a genius I tell you. You've never witnessed true brilliance until you've seen my little prodigy trying like mad to get her balled up fist into her gaping mouth (and missing). It looks a little like someone trying to eat popcorn while riding a rollercoaster. That'll take those smug little full-terms down a peg.

Anyway, this appointment was time for 4 immunizations. Sure, we said, not quite remembering what 4 immunizations in a newborn means. Several hours of howling and screaming later (in the pre-op and recovery rooms at Holy Cross), it was starting to ring a bell. Adding to her discomfort of course I can't breastfeed for a little bit. Sure, some people would say I can, but since she turned blue while sleeping once, I'd rather not pass on any sedatives if I can help it.

My doctor today was my official on-paper doctor. He's a young guy and I find him thoroughly annoying. He was at my birth briefly. I never wrote out the story of the birth, but his part in it was unimpressive. He was paged repeatedly as my labor progressed precipitously and we appeared to be coming dangerously close to delivering without a doctor in the room. Then she got stuck and he came in and announced his annoyance loudly that I wasn't in fact, about to deliver. I'm sorry, is my insanely painful precipitous back labor followed by 2 hours of pushing inconveniencing you? He passed me off to another doctor who was on that day and by a stroke of luck she was fabulous and kind, since the birth was terrifying and we thought the Bug might not make it.

Today he complained to me that he hadn't eaten since breakfast. I hadn't eaten since midnight the night before. Bite me.

1 comment:

AwkwardMoments said...

i am glad that is over. Now i hope you can move on muc better from here on out. Sorry about new borns and shots, doesn't sound like a good combo