This week we had a little more drama. Just as I was getting used to having the Bug home and had begun treating her like a regular baby...
She stopped breathing (don't worry, she's ok now).
We have one of those SIDS mats and it works pretty well - no false alarms. So it went off and kept going off (meaning no breath sounds registered for 20 seconds). Mr. Kim went in to check on her and found her still and blue. He tapped her feet (the first step of infant CPR) and she opened her eyes and pinked up.
We paged the on-call pediatrician who sent us to the hospital where we were admitted for 24 hours of monitoring and tests. After lots and lots of tests, nothing. They did a sleep study and ruled out central apnea (caused by brain not sending enough signals to breathe). Not even close.
Several urinalysis results ruled out UTI. They did find reflux, which may explain things except we didn't find any spit-up anywhere near her when it happened.
So she is home, with a heart and respiration monitor that is a complete pain in the ass. It looks like she is hooked up to an 8-track tape player. But without it I'd be a basket case, so I suppose I'm glad to have it.
Now the long process of allowing this to become our new version of normal - something we don't think about and don't obsess about every minute.
More later, I'm exhausted.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Omg that's terrifying. Thank goodness for monitors. I think we have the same one as you, and it went off the other day for the first time. The Chieftain was breathing, but so shallowly it scared Mr Oro. He is, however, in the habit of doing so when he sleeps. something to ask the doctor about at the next Pedi appt.
HOLY COW! So glad your dr is ontop of it. Take care
OMG! You must have been absolutely frantic with worry, Kim.
You and the Bug are very much in my thoughts. I hope that you don't have any more of these scares.
Post a Comment