Friday, March 14, 2008

Why you lousy...

What a week it's been. Just to kill the suspense - I have not gone into labor (although I thought I was at one point) yet.

First, just as the Bean and I were getting over a nasty flu I took her back to school on Monday. She was ecstatic. She has been dying all year to be calendar helper but was pigeon-holed as flag helper time after time. And not only did she break into the glamorous world of counting down the days, she was also Star of the Week. This is a special week for each kid in her class when parents bring in pictures and teachers make a special poster all about them. There is probably more, but the poster is the big draw for the Bean.

On Tuesday I got a call that the school had a major lice infestation and that The Bean was one of the afflicted. I showed up a few minutes later and sure enough... bugs. Oh the humanity. My husband got off work and set his OCD into motion, picking every single bug and nit from her head in 4 short hours, and treating with medicated shampoo and Cetaphil. We spent all night doing this and laundering. But wait, there's more.

I was afflicted too. Yes, in this pregnancy I have had a mulititude of illnesses and I can now add one of the 7 plagues to that score. After 2 days of matted Cetaphil soap hair, I am no longer buggy but I am also completely exhausted. Personally I love having my hair combed and played with, and I'm always begging Mr. Kim to do so. This struck me as an extreme version of the adage that you should be careful what you wish for. We spent many an hour with him combing and picking through me hair - finally! - and it was dreadful, gross and one of the most un-sexy moments of our relationship.

And when I get exhausted I get contractions. I'm not sure why, I haven't read about this particular cause on any reputable website and yet it seems to be the case. So last night I got no sleep. Today after work I came home and took a 2 hour nap which has helped a lot.

What an ingrate I am. When I started having all these contractions I thought only how disappointed I'd be to have gone all this way and not make it to full term. In the beginning we were literally talking life or death and now I'm quibbling over a few weeks (yes, I'm a mere 2 weeks from full term). And yet, full term is... you know full term. So next week promises to be slower and the next one is spring break, and I'm resolved to take it easier and try to make it to 37 weeks.

Now - every ob I talk to tells me I can't *do* anything to start or prevent labor at this point, so it's purely magical thinking. But sometimes magical thinking is all we have. Besides, maybe it will just make me more comfortable.

2 comments:

Katarina Jelly Beana said...

I had lice in 2nd grade. I still remember sitting in my high chair and about 5 people taking turns picking everything off. It was horrible. Poor Bean and Poor you!

And feet up for you, young lady! I hope you manage to stay rested and in such good spirits. I know you've got your worries, but you sound GREAT.

:)

Magical thinking has gotten me through many a day.

Ms Heathen said...

Sorry to hear about your unwanted visitors, but glad to read that you are otherwise OK. Take care of yourself, and get plenty of rest during these last couple of weeks.