Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Summer


I'm off my blogging game on both blogs right now. I work for the schools, so my maternity leave was extended by summer vacation. Now that it's coming to a close I'm spending a lot less time online in general.

All is well though. Baby Bug had her 4 month appointment and she is doing great. She sleeps 9 hours a night between 11 and 8, seems to be getting red hair and is completely charming and adorable. So she was probably switched in the NICU, but I'm keeping it on the QT.

Life with 2 at home has been interesting. The Bean really has been helpful in a lot of ways. But this week she is in camp and I must say that the break is nice. Mostly the break from the sentence. The one she begins when she wakes up in the morning and ends when she goes to bed at night. It works like an auditory Where's Waldo. She talks constantly, using a good number of made up words and hours of pretend play schemes and just babbling (e.g., "When baby has a poopy diapers it's huuuuge. Sometimes huuuuge. Huuuuge. Huuuuuger. Sometimes it's small. Small. Soooooo small. But usually HUge. MOMMY, are you listening?") but buried in there are vital bits of information (e.g., "So then you have to just *touch* this light switch if you want to be a glitter princess... I have to go potty so bad... and then you'll be a glittery, glittery princess becauuuuuuuuuuse, well, that's just what you have to do...").

However, over the course of the summer we have managed to have some fun and expose the girls to some culture even. We visited the National Portrait Gallery with a friend who was visiting. Here's a tip for all you new mommies (or not-so-new, I thought it would be a train wreck): give anything a try once, you never know. Turns out the Bug LOVES to stare at art (if she's in the Bjorn where she can see all). Loves it. Goes crazy for a Metropolitan Museum of Art counting book her big sister checked out of the library. We were there for well over an hour and she loved every minute. Big sister also enjoyed herself, although she is partial to sculpture. She did discover Mary Cassatt, got a book about her we read often and can pretty accurately point out her work (not too hard since if it has a baby or a tea cup it's probably hers). She calls her Mary Croissant, which sounds pejorative, but the kid loves her buttery flakey pastries. Not a fan of the French though. After attending a French preschool for 2 years, then switching to a Jewish school she said "I don't mind speaking French, I just don't like French people." She was 3 at the time. Mr. Kim and I loved it. The food at all school events was great. The Bean loved the food too, honestly, and she loved a number of the teachers. It was just the mime she didn't like. But I digress. Really must post more often.

Here's something interesting. At the zoo the other day I saw a family with a (probably) adopted chinese girl and had a pang of longing to go through with our adoption plan. Because I need to be medicated I think. So far two isn't as hard as I thought (all the hardship to get to 2 might make it easier I admit), but I am happy and satisfied. And yet... I always planned to adopt and I was very excited about China until it started to take years to get a child. What am I thinking? Am I thinking? Mr. Kim comes from a family with 3 kids, one of them adopted and of a different racial background, and the other 2 biological. And it has been tough. I don't know what I'm talking about right now. It may well the be the IF withdrawal talking.

2 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

WOw the oldest sounds so entertaining .. So cute. Thanks for the tips - keep um coming

sara said...

Thanks for stopping by and your kind words! Yes, great point you made about the FFN. We're starting those in a couple of weeks - and I think it will help give me some peace of mind like you said :-) I look forward to catching up with your site :-)